I’ve decided to commit to a monthly Gratitude post. I’ve been quite commitment-phobic these past, oh, all the years of my life… but I’m ready to dig in and make my stand in this world, this life. So I’m happy to add this small thing to my list. The third day of the month is perfect since next month that day happens to be the anniversary of my birth and that is something I am particularly grateful for.
I’m adding a linky in case anyone wants to join up with their own post. I’ll leave it going all month so jump in any time. I can honestly tell you that this practice of thinking of just 5 things I’m grateful for has given me so much peace and joy. I am grateful to Amanda at Let’s Take the Metro for introducing me to this whole idea.
So without further ado…I am SO grateful for:
1. My kid and “Better Incarnation.” When Stephen and I got together he had a hard time with my need to kill spiders in the house. (I get really tweaky about bugs inside.) So, when he can’t get save them to take outside he says, “better incarnation” to them. He pretty much insisted that I say it too. Well, Em has heard this all her life and when she got old enough we explained the idea behind it. And now, for some reason she has taken to saying “better incarnation” to every single bite of food she takes. It’s absurd and sometimes maddening to listen to, but I have to admire her commitment. It’s been going on for over a month now and she shows no signs of slowing. I tried explaining the difference between a bug and her bite of guacamole, but she isn’t interested. I wonder what she really understands and why she really does it. What part of her is she soothing? Is she just playing? Is she insane? Is it spiritual for her? Can it be spiritual if she even sometimes says it to her poop before she flushes? Or does she know something we don’t?
2. My friend Ellen who has inspired me more than she knows. We both started our Etsy stores at about the same time this year and as usual I was not really putting my whole self into it. It’s a fear thing, I think. But by watching the way Ellen has taken her art, her store and her business so seriously and given it the focus and attention it deserves, I’ve been swept up and have decided that I will make something of this after all. I’ve always held back because I figured that if I didn’t invest too much, then I wouldn’t be disappointed if nothing came of it, if no one liked my art (or me.. boo hoo, blah blah…oh my god what a whiner). So, I am grateful for her support, friendship and inspiration. And I am grateful for her art. It is so amazing and it makes me happy just to look at it. I can’t wait to get more of it. It’s on my Birthday and Christmas wish lists already. You can see one of my favorites here.
3. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
4. Cocoa Crack. Thank heavens there’s a chocolate treat that is sugar and fake sugar free and yummy, but not so delicious that I can’t stop eating it.
5. There was a day in September that marked the anniversary of my husband’s birth. Another day I am very grateful for. Props to my mother-in-law.
And there you have it.
If you’d like (and you don’t have a blog or want to do your own post), share something you’re grateful for this week in the comments below. I’d love to hear.